Suescraftstuff

divider

divider
SUESCRAFTSTUFF

Susie's Scrapblog

My photo
United Kingdom
suescraftstuff:- I try to put all sorts of things into order in a scrapbook. mainly family. I Started scrapbooking in 2009 and now am totally addicted. Just recently I started making a few cards, mainly for friends and family, I really enjoy doing this, but there is such a lot more to learn. currently I am learning to use promarkers, they're fantastic!!... I have a cricut cutting machine, but like to embellish with different mediums rather than just the cricut cutouts. I love lace and flowers, also distressing and embossing. This is just one of my many hobbies I've had over the years, a big part of it was woodcraft and painting.The woodcraft bit I got from my dad, him and my mum are my all time favourite people, my dad was so kind and clever, dad, I miss you, because of him I still dabble in the woodwork a bit too. But I am loving putting all my photo's into a scrapbook, and lately making cards, to keep and remember everone in a much more interesting way than a normal photo album .hopefully it will be passed on in later years.

divider

divider

Friday 9 July 2010

Warren Towers


From 1972-1981 we lived in this old mansion on the top of Warren Hill in Newmarket, Suffolk. It was the most amazing place, we had an enormous garden, an orangery, a squash court, old, but usable and what used to be a sauna. The house was divided into 9 flats/apartments, and was a great fun place to live. I was in my 20's and separated from my son's father, so we lived there alone, but never alone because of all the tenants, the were all about the same age as me, some USAF airmen stationed in Lakenheath and Milldenhall. I met my daughter's father there and when we had her we moved from that place to a small house in town, nothing like the old house, but I will always have such fond memories of it and the years my son was growing up there. we had a lot of fun in 'The Old House'. Warren Towers.

This LO was done of a winter photo taken in the back garden by the old christmas tree, the paper I used was Tim Holtz's idea-ology, I used Cosmic shimmer mist in 'Tropical lagoon' blue to stencil the snowflakes, and tattered angles glimmer mist in 'old lace' to colour the doily behine the photo. The flower I made myself by cutting 'ribbon' with Martha Stewart's deep edge punch flower vine, and scrunching it up and spraying with the cosmic shimmer.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. patti botterill12 March 2011 at 21:26

    think my granddad lived atwarren towers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. got some pics but my it skills are very limited

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family and I lived at Warren Towers in the mid to late 60's and I have beautiful memories of it! My stepdad's surname was Varnell and my name is Karen McCort. I can still see in my minds eye the staircase, library, the beautiful ballroom, the pheasants and rabbits early in the morning, beautiful wild flowers in the fields and me and my friends playing on the heath. We later moved to a house on Stamford Street in Newmarket. Wonderful times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI SUE,

    KIM YARWOOD HERE! enjoyed this web page!
    former Sgt. Yarwood, Lakenheath Hospital 1970-74
    Miss those days, Mrs. Burns and fun times.


    kimjamyar@yahoo.com
    www.kards4kelts.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, Mike Burke, lived above you from 1978-1980. I got lots of pics I can get for you!
    Oh what fun that was, I owe it to you that I still love to take pics, you told me to buy a "pentax", I still have it! I can remember you being pregant. You know Bat died and I still have some of his remains! Well those were the days. I see the place is no more, such a shame it was a unique place to live and be part of living there with all the mixes.
    So it was me & Kathy (no longer together), Tom & Sandy Wright,Bill Elledge & Bat, the two girls upstairs (main house), Carol (wild!!) & Jill. I'd love to talk to you, email me and as I get the pics together I'll send them to you. ( joetlion23@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue,
    I can't tell you how many great memories this article evokes. My wife and I lived in the apartment at the top right of Warren Towers (when view from the front) between 1968 and 1970. I was stationed at Lakenheath and worked in the Personnel Office. The grounds of the place were truly lovely and waking to the sounds of horses cantering around the track just behind the property was always enjoyable. Winters in the apartment what with the "shilling hungry" gas fires and the similarly needy hot water heater over the tub were a real eye-opener, but we thoroughly enjoyed the lifestyle nonetheless. Living in that mansion made us all feel as if we were a part of the aristocracy! I'd love to communicate more with you and anyone else who can relate to the Warren Towers lifestyle...
    --
    Maxwell Moon (Max)
    Retired in Florida

    ReplyDelete